Before You Register
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE GUELPH STUDENT FOODBANK IS NOW AT CAPACITY. INTAKE FORMS RECEIVED AFTER 10/4/2022 WILL BE KEPT ON A WAITING LIST. STUDENTS EXPERIENCING A FOOD EMERGENCY ARE ASKED TO REVIEW THE LIST OF ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ON OUR WEBSITE AND/OR REACH OUT TO FOODBANK@UOGUELPH.CA FOR MORE INFORMATION
Before you register for our services, please consider the following:
What is food insecurity?
Food insecurity is the inadequate or insecure access to food due to financial constraints. It is a serious problem in Canada that negatively impacts physical, mental, and social health, and costs our healthcare system considerably.
What is a food emergency?
A food emergency refers to the inability to access enough nutritious food to support wellbeing for oneself and/or one’s dependents, or the uncertainty that one will be able to do so. This is often due to a lack of funds. A dependent is defined as those who rely on your income for support and is limited to your spouse/partner and children only.
You may be experiencing a food emergency if you answer yes to any of the following questions, or if you fear they will apply to your circumstances within the next month:
- In the past month, have you worried that food would run out before you got money to buy more?
- In the past month, have you been unable to afford groceries after the food in your home has run out?
- In the past month, have you been unable to afford nutritious, balanced meals?
- In the past month, have you or your dependents relied on only a few kinds of low-cost food because you were running out of money to buy food?
- In the past month, have you been unable to provide your dependents with nutritious, balanced meals because you couldn't afford it?
- In the past month, have your dependents not eaten enough because you couldn't afford enough food?
- In the past month, did you or your dependents ever eat less, cut the size of your meals or skip meals because there wasn't enough money for food?
- In the past month, were you ever hungry but didn't eat because you couldn't afford enough food?
- In the past month, did you lose weight because you didn't have enough money for food?
- In the past month, did you or your dependents ever not eat for a whole day because there wasn't enough money for food?
- In the past month, were any of your dependents ever hungry but you couldn't afford more food?
If none of these circumstances apply to you, you may not require our services. Please contact the FoodBank Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative resources that may be available to you.
Share Your Thoughts
If you have ideas about how the FoodBank can work to serve you better, have questions regarding any of the above information, or require any additional support, please reach out!
Alanna Wyllie, FoodBank Coordinator
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 519 824 4120 x 56748