SafeWalk is a student-run volunteer organization that provides a safe and reliable escort after dark for any person on the University of Guelph campus and helps maintain the safety of the University community. The service is available seven days a week from 7:30 pm to 2:30 am.
Created in 1991, the University of Guelph SafeWalk program has proven to be a useful and beneficial program to the University of Guelph community. The University of Guelph SafeWalk team is a CSA service dedicated to providing students, staff, faculty and visitors on campus with a safe and reliable accompaniment to their destinations after dark, and helping to maintain the safety of the University community. SafeWalk volunteers contribute positively to their University community while having the chance to develop their life skills and meet new people. Social team events and skills development sessions are offered to all SafeWalk volunteers.
Ways to Get a Walk
- Dial x53200 from any on-campus telephone
- Call from a personal device by calling the University of Guelph phone number (519-824-4120) and then the extension (x53200)
- Push the SafeWalk button on any payphone on-campus
- Press the talk button on any Emergency Pole and ask the University of Guelph Campus Community Police dispatcher for a SafeWalk
- Approach any SafeWalk team of volunteers walking around campus at night.
What are your hours of operation?
We run from 7:30 pm until 2:30 am every night with the exception of the break between semesters and the summer semester.
SafeWalk operates on reduced hours during the first month of each semester, with the service available from 9:30pm-1:00am each night. Follow SafeWalk’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts for updates on when regular hours resume.
What are your boundaries?
SafeWalk operates anywhere on campus, including the Ontario Veterinary College, the Arboretum, and to the end of the cow path. We ask that if any person needs a walk off-campus, they send us a request in advance via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to accommodate their needs.
A new campus safety app for smartphones is available to our entire campus community. SAFEGRYPHON app is your personal companion during your school experience here at the University of Guelph. To learn more and download the app, please visit the SafeGryphon App site.
Office Hours of Operation - Fall 2019
Program Coordinator - Bailey
- Mondays: 11:30am-1:00pm & 1:30pm-2:30pm & 5:30pm-7:00pm
- Tuesdays: By appointment
- Wednesdays: 11:30am-2:30pm & 3:30pm-4:30pm
- Thursdays: By appointment
- Fridays: 11:30am-1:30pm
Volunteer and Public Relations Coordinator - Tyler
- Mondays: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Tuesdays: 4:00pm-8:30pm
- Thursdays: 9:30am-11:00am & 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Coordinator: email@example.com
- Volunteer and Public Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Phone: 519-824-4120 x54845
- Location: University Centre 245
- Walk in groups around campus
- Let people know where you’re going and when you’ll be back
- Stay aware of your surroundings
- Keep informed of what is going on campus by checking the University of Guelph Campus Community Police website, which can be found below, under Resources
- Let campus police know if you see anything out of the ordinary
- Don’t hesitate to call SafeWalk any night between 7:30 pm and 2:30 am!
All our members share the same values.
Reliability: We are conscientious, professional, responsible and dependable in dealing with each other and our community.
Integrity: We are truthful and open in our interaction with each other and the public. We are honourable, trustworthy and strive to do what is right.
Respect: We treat everyone in an impartial, equitable, sensitive and ethical manner because we value ourselves, each other and members of our communities; showing understanding and appreciation for our similarities and differences.
New team members are welcome and we recruit every September and January.
We are now accepting new volunteers for Fall 2019 semester. Applications are due by Monday, September 23, 2019.
The application can be found at the bottom of the page under the section, "File Attachments."
Please return a hard copy of your completed application form to the SafeWalk Office on the 2nd floor of the University Centre, Room 245 or email an electronic copy to email@example.com.
- University of Guelph Campus Community Police
- University of Guelph Campus Map
- University of Guelph First Response Team
- University of Guelph Student Support Network
- University of Guelph Counseling Services
|Safewalk Volunteer Application Form F19||163.51 KB|