Knowing Your Rights as a Renter
All information provided is based on the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). You are covered as a tenant by the RTA if you do not share a kitchen or bathroom with a landlord or their immediate relative. The RTA protects your rights as a tenant.
- Never pay cash.
- Damage deposits are illegal.
- Your rent can only be increased once every 12 months and by no more than 2.2% in 2020.
- You need to give your landlord at least 60 days written notice on the 1st of a month to tell them that you are moving out. If your lease ends on April 30, then you need to give written notice (email works) by March 1.
Rental Housing Surplus
- Guelph has a SURPLUS of rental housing geared to students. That means that Guelph has more rentals geared to students (all year long) than students looking for a place.
- Your lease is a legal contract.
- If your lease expires, you automatically become a month-to-month tenant unless you've given your landlord notice that you're moving out. If you wish to renew your lease, you can either amend the existing lease or sign a new one.
- Get your lease reviewed by our Student Help and Advocacy Centre staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your landlord has to give you 24 hours notice in writing that they are going to your place between 8am and 8pm. The notice should include the specific time and the reason they are entering. (You don't have to be there.)
- If you have given your landlord written notice that you are moving out, they have to make an effort to tell you they are coming to show the place to new tenants, but 24 hours notice is no longer required.
- Your landlord has to keep the rental property in a good state of repair. If it's broken from everyday wear and tear, then they are responsible for fixing it.
For more information:
- CSA VP Student Experience: email@example.com
- Student Help and Advocacy Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guelph Campus Co-Op: email@example.com
- Student Life Off-Campus Living: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page updated: September 2020
Friday, October 16th, 2020 11:01 AM