What You Need to Know: Bus Pass Referendum
- What Happened to the Bus Pass?
- What is the UPass?
- What is the Referendum Question?
- What Does My Vote Mean?
- How and When Do I Vote?
What happened to the Student Bus Pass?
Wondering why we don't have a UPass (Universal Bus Pass) this semester? It's because our previous UPass contract expired on April 30th, 2021. The CSA and GSA have negotiated a new UPass contract with the City of Guelph, priced at $151 per semester, with annual increases capped at 2% per year, effective January 1, 2022.
Negotiating a contract is Step 1, holding a referendum for students to approve the terms of the contract is Step 2. Have your say and vote in the UPass Referendum this October 4th - 8th!
To find out more about voting in this referendum, please read the details below or click here to learn more about Referendums.
What is the UPass?
The UPass provides all University of Guelph main campus students with affordable & unlimited transportation to campus, downtown, and the greater City of Guelph. The UPass is sold at a significantly lower rate than the City of Guelph Post-secondary Semester Bus Pass. The previous UPass contract, which was negotiated for a five-year term, expired on April 30, 2021.
What is the referendum question asking?
Do you support a Universal Bus Pass fee for all University of Guelph, main campus, full-time and part-time, undergraduate and graduate students, effective January 1, 2022, with the following terms?
- Priced at $151 per each Fall, Winter and Summer semester, with an annual price increase of no more than 2% per academic year.
- The City of Guelph commits to hold the fee increase at 2% or less for the next 5 years.
- The contract term is indefinite unless the annual increase exceeds 2%, at which time another referendum must be held.
Click here to read the official preamble and question, including the terms of the proposed UPass.
What does my vote mean?
- A YES vote means a UPass for all students starting January 2022, included in your compulsory fees.
- A NO vote means no UPass. Students requiring the bus would need to purchase pricier alternatives.
When and where can I vote?
- Voting will be open Monday, October 4th to Friday, October 8th during the Fall 2021 CSA By-Election.
- Electronic ballots will be sent to all students via GryphMail; click here to learn more about voting in a CSA election!